January 2012 - March 2012
In addition to offering one-on-one and group instruction for subjects pertaining to the MCAT, GRE, high school verbal/writing, AP exams, and SAT prep, I provide a holistic approach for parents and students on how to optimize academic performance and establish a reliable path to college or medical and graduate school.
My primary duty with APT is to guide students (and their parents, when appropriate) through the college application process, particularly in the writing (and re-writing and re-re-writing) of essays and personal statements, as well as planning the students' extracurriculars and engaging recommendations most suitable for their target schools and career goals.
Director & Newsletter Co-Editor
West Pasadena Residents' Association
April 2010 - March 2012
* Elected member of the Board of Directors in May 2011.
* Volunteers with a small team of editors to produce a weekly e-newsletter for neighborhood organization.
* Selects content focused on city planning, community infrastructure, local politics, and area entertainment events.
Webmaster / Portal Editor
November 2005 - March 2012
* Leading contributor to strategic planning for intranet serving 2,000+ legal professionals.
* Provided critical UI designs, analysis of business and users needs, etc. for 2009 move from Interwoven DMS back-end and ad hoc UI to Microsoft SharePoint 2007. Now preparing same for move to SharePoint 2010.
* Established & maintains site standards, style guidelines, & publishing strategies.
* Writes, edits, and coordinates compelling daily/weekly news.
* Acts as key liaison assisting user-centric web development for stakeholders across all levels.
* Utilized WebTrends expertise to provide important web metrics for Portal and external website to key stakeholders; expanded experience to SharePoint analytics.
Business & Technology News Editor
ECT News Network
June 2005 - November 2005
* Shared duties as a member of small editorial team targeting business & technology niche audiences.
* Utilized news judgment to select syndicated content, assign feature and current news stories to staff and plan site layout updates. Chosen stories regularly hit major news aggregate sites.
* Copyedited/proofread ongoing updates to site content; organized daily and weekly newsletters.
Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce / UNITE-LA
August 2004 - June 2005
* Planned, wrote, and edited e-newsletter, website, & other communications for L.A. Chamber initiatives, with focus on educational and community outreach.
* Proofread and reviewed print and online media.
Stand-by Web Producer
American Public Media (fmr Minnesota Public Radio)
March 2004 - May 2005
* Posted daily to websites & e-newsletters with minimal supervision by producers and news staff.
* Created, encoded, and processed multimedia (e.g., videos, audio recordings, graphics, photo albums).
* Was named stand-by web producer roughly three weeks after being hired as intern.
June 2000 - July 2005
* Helped build a unique online community using interactive tools and on-site community management.
* Coordinated content, design and maintenance of weekly online newspaper; audience ages 8-18.
* Selected, wrote, copy-edited, and proofread content, layout, and HTML independently and with team.
* Established content taxonomy still followed today.
* Provided user-oriented insight critical to site “stickiness” & management that led to patent-pending community management software (named “JOE”).