For the past 15 years I have worked in public relations and communications across a variety of industries and responsibilities, including media relations, publications, strategy development, journalism, policy and research, government relations, event planning, community and stakeholder relations, and social media.
Grap Dip Journalism , Grap Dip Journalism
December 1995 - December 1995
Uni of Western Australia
History & English Literature , History & English Literature
December 1994 - December 1994
University of Sydney
Creative Writing , Creative Writing
CommsPROs , Sydney, Australia
December 2011 - January 2012
Managing Editor of PR & communications jobs website www.commspros.com.au
Sundew Media , Perth/Sydney
May 2011 - January 2012
Past and current projects include crisis management; PR and promotional strategic planning; feature ‘advertorial’ articles; promotional/information publicity material; building and maintaining websites (including writing copy and SEO); event planning and promotion. Created PR/communications jobs website CommsPROs (using Wordpress platform).
Publicist and Business Manager
In One Hour , Sydney / International
December 2006 - January 2012
• Positioned David Solomon as an educator and speaker of considerable international repute, using traditional and internet-based promotional devices ranging from stories in key special-interest publications to the placement of a Wikipedia entry.
• Built, designed, wrote-copy and maintained www.inonehour.net.
• Designed and edited In One Hour publication, The Whole of Jewish History in One Hour.
• Designed, edited and produced six audio series for CD; compiled and edited video collection.
• Developed and maintained email and social media networks.
PR & Communications Specialist
Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation (Native Title Representative Body) , Perth, Australia
June 2004 - December 2006
• Raised the profile of YMAC with media, stakeholders and government through extensive media activity and relevant events (including a number of high profile media campaigns.)
• Establishment and management of communications unit of YMAC and expanded it to include additional communication and policy officers (who reported to me).
• Received special commendation from a number of leading Indigenous figures for the quality of YMAC annual reports.
• Created and managed website for YMAC.
• Implemented regular newsletter communications, including staff newsletter and newsletters for almost 30 separate native title claims.
• Created and edited staff handbook.
• Raised awareness of organisational operations through briefing and promotional documents.
• Establishment of organisational photo library .
• Created and organised YMAC stakeholder event.
Public Affairs Executive
Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry , London, UK
August 2001 - February 2004
• Increased circulation and improved design and detail of ABPI publications.
• Increased audience numbers for ABPI messages through radio day programmes.
• Produced key ABPI briefings.
• Increased number of journals publishing ABPI feature articles (ghost-wrote most submissions).
• Introduced and managed new online method of promoting ABPI messages, through organised online chat forums.
Morgan Allen Moore , London, UK
October 1999 - August 2001
• Promoted to Account Manager (most senior position in company below board members) within 10 months of initial employment as Account Executive.
• Edited magazine for the National Association of Councillors.
• Shared speaking platform with Secretary of State for Wales on issue of pension reform for local councillors. Recognition of the issue was later confirmed by the National Assembly for Wales.
• Formalised MAM new business activity.
Client & Government Liaison
Freelance/ Contract Work / Voluntary
, Australia & UK
May 1996 - October 1999
Researcher at Conservative Central Office, London (election campaign contract) 1997
Responsible for researching the Prime Minister's and Deputy Prime Minister's campaign tours; responsible for the Prime Minister's public email address, writing press briefings and third party endorsement research.
Work Experience with political programme Crosstalk, London News Network (1999); Radio presenter and member of arts programming team, Radio West, Jerusalem, (1997-8); Radio co-presenter on twice-weekly live programme, Art is Life, Radio 6EBAFM, Perth, WA (1996).
Freelance journalist, The West Magazine, Perth, WA (1998); Freelance journalist, The West Australian, Perth WA (1996); Commissioned freelance writer, The Pursuit of Quality, Beaumont Publishing House, Perth (1996); Freelance journalist, The West Australian, Perth, WA (1996).