Experienced journalist who can correct copy, write compelling headlines, design pages for print or the Web, work the wires and handle proofreading duties. Also skillful at reporting on news, sports or business and blogging. Knowledgeable about social media, content management systems, video and HTML. Meet deadlines, quickly grasp new concepts and work well with little supervision.
San Francisco State University
Journalism , Journalism
May 2012 - May 2012
Bay Area News Group , Walnut Creek, Ca., 94598
November 2010 - January 2012
Edit stories and write headlines for multiple editions of San Jose Mercury News.
The Press-Enterprise , Riverside
April 2008 - October 2009
Managed copy desk on weekends with busiest workload and fewest resources. Put news pages to bed early on Fridays so desk could get a jump on prep sports copy; combined portions of multiple wire-service reports into front-page stories.
Copy desk chief
The Appeal-Democrat , Marysville
April 2007 - March 2008
Managed five-person desk while designing A1 and jumps. Processed photos and graphics and did own cutouts. Helped choose front-page content, wrote all headlines and edited copy. Arranged to get front pages published on Newseum.
Copy desk chief
The Bakersfield Californian , Bakersfield
October 2005 - December 2006
Led 15-person copy desk, slotted news pages and created password-protected website so editors could check work schedules, view critiques and leave comments; created comprehensive house style guide from scratch and combined it online with AP's.
The Honolulu Advertiser , Honolulu
February 2001 - October 2005
* Sole copy editor to rework stories and headlines for paper's afternoon edition. Also worked on features copy desk and filled in as wire editor.
* Contributed stories on a variety of subjects, including sports, genealogy and travel.
* Prepared special three-part, front-page series on Hawaii's prison system. Ensured photo captions and graphics jibed with information in stories and helped improve reporting.
News editor/Assistant Pacific desk editor
Pacific Stars & Stripes , Tokyo, Japan
June 1997 - January 2001
* As news editor, led newsroom amid staff upheaval; ran budget meetings; chose story content; supervised 10-person copy desk and designed A1. Ensured computer system was working and that deadlines were met so that papers could be distributed to mainland Japan, Okinawa, South Korea and Guam.
* As assistant desk editor, communicated with reporters and photographers in Pacific and other editors in Washington, made assignments and made sure copy met deadline.